The Butler Bulldogs are a men’s basketball team representing Butler University in Indianapolis, Indiana. The team has a rich history of success, winning numerous conference championships and making multiple appearances in the NCAA Tournament. In this article, we will explore the history of the Butler Bulldogs basketball program, the team’s most famous players, its current head coach, the conference it competes in, its schedule, and how to watch the team’s games live.
History of Butler Bulldogs Basketball
The Butler Bulldogs basketball program has a long and storied history, dating back to 1904. However, it wasn’t until the arrival of legendary coach Tony Hinkle in 1921 that the program began to gain national recognition. Under Hinkle’s leadership, Butler became a dominant force in college basketball, winning numerous conference championships and making several appearances in the NCAA Tournament.
The most memorable moment in the program’s history occurred in 2010 when the Bulldogs made an improbable run to the NCAA Tournament championship game. Led by head coach Brad Stevens and star player Gordon Hayward, the team captured the hearts of basketball fans across the country. Although they fell just short of winning the championship, the Bulldogs’ run to the final game remains one of the greatest Cinderella stories in college basketball history.
When was the Last Time Butler Won a National Championship?
The Butler Bulldogs have made two appearances in the NCAA Tournament championship game, in 2010 and 2021. However, the team has yet to win a national championship.
Famous Butler Bulldogs Basketball Players
The Butler Bulldogs basketball program has produced many talented players who have gone on to achieve great success both on and off the court. Some of the most famous Bulldogs basketball players include:
- Gordon Hayward – Hayward played for Butler from 2008-2010 and was a key player on the 2010 NCAA Tournament runner-up team. After leaving Butler, he was drafted ninth overall by the Utah Jazz and has since played for the Boston Celtics and Charlotte Hornets.
- Shelvin Mack – Mack played for Butler from 2008-2011 and was a crucial player on the 2010 NCAA Tournament runner-up team. He has played in the NBA for several teams, including the Atlanta Hawks, Utah Jazz, and Memphis Grizzlies.
- Matt Howard – Howard played for Butler from 2007-2011 and was a star player on the 2010 NCAA Tournament runner-up team. He was named the Horizon League Player of the Year in 2010 and 2011 and has since played professionally in Europe.
- Kameron Woods – Woods played for Butler from 2011-2015 and was known for his rebounding and defensive skills. He finished his college career as the program’s all-time leader in rebounds and has since played professionally in Europe.
Who is the Head Coach of the Butler Bulldogs Men’s Basketball Team?
The current head coach of the Butler Bulldogs men’s basketball team is LaVall Jordan. Jordan played college basketball at Butler from 1998-2001 and later served as an assistant coach under Brad Stevens. He has also been a head coach at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and has led the Bulldogs since 2017. Under Jordan’s leadership, the Bulldogs have continued to be a competitive force in the NCAA.
Custom Butler Bulldogs Jersey For Sale
What Conference Does Butler Play in for Basketball?
The Butler Bulldogs men’s basketball team competes in the Big East Conference, which is widely considered one of the top basketball conferences in the country. The conference includes 11 other teams, including Villanova, Georgetown, and St. John’s.
How Many Times Has Butler Been to the NCAA Tournament?
The Butler Bulldogs have made a total of 16 appearances in the NCAA Tournament, including two appearances in the championship game in 2010 and 2021. In addition to these memorable runs, the Bulldogs have also made it to the Sweet 16 four times and the Elite Eight twice.
What is the Butler Bulldogs Men’s Basketball Schedule?
The Butler Bulldogs typically play a challenging non-conference schedule before diving into Big East play. To find the latest Butler Bulldogs men’s basketball schedule, you can visit the team’s official website or the official website of the Big East Conference.
Where Can I Buy Tickets to Butler Bulldogs Basketball Games?
If you’re interested in attending a Butler Bulldogs basketball game, there are a few options for purchasing tickets. You can purchase tickets directly from the Butler Athletics website, where you can select your seats and purchase tickets online. You can also buy tickets in person at the Hinkle Fieldhouse box office, which is located on the Butler University campus.
What is the Capacity of Hinkle Fieldhouse the Home Arena of Butler Bulldogs Basketball?
Hinkle Fieldhouse is the home arena of the Butler Bulldogs basketball team and is one of the most iconic basketball venues in the country. The arena opened in 1928 and has a capacity of 9,100 fans. The arena is known for its classic architecture, unique layout, and intimate atmosphere, which makes it a special place to watch a college basketball game.
How Can I Watch Butler Bulldogs Basketball Games Live?
If you can’t make it to Hinkle Fieldhouse to watch a Butler Bulldogs basketball game in person, there are still plenty of ways to watch the team play live. Many of the team’s games are televised nationally on ESPN, ESPN2, or Fox Sports 1. You can also stream games live online through the ESPN app or the Fox Sports app.
Another option for watching Butler Bulldogs basketball games live is through a streaming service that offers college basketball games. Some popular options include Sling TV, Hulu with Live TV, and YouTube TV. These services allow you to watch live TV channels, including those that broadcast college basketball games, on your computer, TV, or mobile device.
What is the History of the Butler Bulldogs Basketball Program?
The Butler Bulldogs basketball program has a long and storied history, dating back to 1904. The team has won numerous conference championships, made multiple appearances in the NCAA Tournament, and produced many talented players over the years. Some of the program’s most memorable moments include:
- Tony Hinkle Era – Tony Hinkle served as head coach of the Butler Bulldogs from 1921-1942 and 1945-1970. Under his leadership, the team won numerous conference championships and became a dominant force in college basketball.
- 2010 NCAA Tournament Run – In 2010, the Butler Bulldogs made an improbable run to the NCAA Tournament championship game, led by head coach Brad Stevens and star player Gordon Hayward.
- 2021 NCAA Tournament Run – The Bulldogs made another deep run in the 2021 NCAA Tournament, reaching the championship game for the second time in program history.
In conclusion, the Butler Bulldogs men’s basketball program has a rich history of excellence, with numerous conference championships, NCAA Tournament appearances, and talented players. The team competes in the Big East Conference, plays its home games at the iconic Hinkle Fieldhouse, and is currently led by head coach LaVall Jordan. Whether you’re a lifelong fan or a new supporter, there are plenty of opportunities to catch the Bulldogs in action and experience the excitement of college basketball.
Connect us at: https://www.pinterest.com/topsmartdesignshop/